Perfect for Flank Steak
(based on Ann Arbor Hadassah Cookbook's Marinated Flank Steak)
This marinade can be used with 1 to 1 1/2 pounds of
Flank Steak (or even 2+lbs)
Boneless skinless chicken breast
Fish (salmon steaks work well, or any fillets. Optional:
replace some of the ginger with lime or lemon zest.)
1/2 c. soy sauce
1/2 c. dry wine, any color but I usually use red
1/2 T. sugar (or a little less), which acts as a tenderizer
Ginger, raw (1+" long x ~3/4" diameter) peeled, chopped small OR 1/2 tsp ground ginger but I prefer fresh.
1 clove garlic, minced or chopped same size as the raw ginger
(The original recipe had double all these amounts, but you don't need that much for a flank steak that serves 4 or even 6.)
1. Prepare the ginger by removing the skin with a carrot peeler and chopping small, maybe largest dimension no more than 1/8".
2. Put the meat, chicken or fish in a glass or stainless baking dish (not aluminum: too reactive).
3. Pour on the liquids, sprinkle on the sugar, and drop on the ginger and garlic. I like to rub the ginger and garlic in a little with the back of a spoon.
4. If I think of it half way through or even as late as when I preheat the oven, I scrape the ginger and garlic into the liquid, turn the meat over and then spoon the ginger and garlic onto the 2nd side, again rubbing it in with the back of the spoon..
Marinating Time per A2 Hadassh Book for flank steak:
3-4 hours at room temperature or
all day or even overnight in fridge.
If you have less time, it's OK, too.
5. When ready to cook, preheat grill or oven.
6. Remove from marinade (but don't toss it quite yet)
7. Broil on the grill or the oven, basting with a little marinade when you turn it over. -OR- Bake at 425: put a little marinade, but not all, in the baking dish to prevent sticking, and baste with soe more marinade part way through. If you bake, you don't have to turn the meat over unless you really want to.
If it's flank steak, 4 minutes on a side for rare.
If it's chicken cutlets, 5 minutes on a side.
If it's fish, depends on thickness and desired doneness.
8. For flank steak, cool a few minutes to make it easier to slice, slice about 1/2" thickness, and serve. Chicken and fish can just be served straight away.
Good cold. Great for leftovers.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Marinating time: 3 hours to overnight
Broiling time: 10 minutes
First typed 20020714 rjm, rev 20170315